Needed info, presented in order of importance (not comprehensive; just what you need to start):
- Practice starts Tuesday. Attending creates no requirements of you. Come try the sport; see if it’s for you. The answer may be no, but you can’t decide without trying.
- Crew follows the NPS lead on COVID. Your ability to attend practice is based on the same criteria as attending school. We appreciate your caution, and efforts that contribute to the health of the whole team.
- Everyone is welcome at Granby Crew (well… except those who would act counter to this maxim). In junior-high I quit my first sport after day 1 because I didn’t feel I belonged. Don’t make that mistake.
- Weekday (M-F) practice is 1530-1800 at the boathouse (Lakewood Park). Saturday practice is 0800-1100. There are options for arriving late or leaving early. Not all practices are required.
- Those who need them must bring their inhalers and/or epi-pens.
- Those without weekday vehicle rides to the boathouse must attend study hall (available day 1) in the medium forum after school (https://granbycrew.com/athletes/student-rules/about-study-hall/). Students cannot be unsupervised between school and practice (unless at home).
- Those with vehicle rides (this may include driving one’s self) are encouraged to use them to help us minimize study hall attendance when COVID risks are higher. Arrive at the boathouse no earlier than 1515. Cycling to practice from home is an option.
- Get your sports physical (https://www.npsk12.com/Page/1934) ASAP. You can’t train hard (or even medium) without one.
- Pre-practice running will not happen in the first two weeks. Study hall attendees will walk over. Riders… don’t worry about it yet.
- Pickup from practice only happens around the tree circle. Students will go directly there from the boathouse, and will only depart that area to get in a nearby vehicle.
- Don’t see info you want, please ask for it.
- Paperwork – Unfortunately, our club status leads to more paperwork. Due date and forms are posted. (https://granbycrew.com/athletes/the-right-form/)
- COVID protocols
- Follow the standards being followed at the school.
- If symptoms arise while at school, do not come to practice.
- Weather protocols
- We have the ability to practice indoors in a large space. Inclement weather does not cancel practice. If NPS cancels after school activities, we follow their lead and cancel. Come if you feel safe doing so.
- Inclement weather that will prevent walking/running to the boathouse will cancel study hall. This will be announced at school.
- The training calendar for the year is posted, though it is subject to change… especially further in the future (https://granbycrew.com/practice-schedules/training-schedule/).
- Possessions storage:
- We have a locked plywood box at the boathouse for storage of school bags and personal possessions.
- The only personal possessions allowed to be stored outside that box are car keys and other items that drivers don’t want to leave in cars.
- Needed items/equipment
- Every student must have a personal water bottle with their name on it. To prevent accumulation of plastic at the boathouse, disposable bottles will not be allowed after week 2. Students without water bottles will not be allowed to train on the water.
- Athletic shoes that facilitate running are required. Athletic clothing is too; baggy shorts that will get caught in seat wheels will be highly discouraged.
- Dues – There are dues (we’re a club sport with no NPS financial backing). Details are in the paperwork.
- Swim test – A minimum ability to swim is needed. We can help you learn and pass. Test days are notionally 15/22/29Sep. Details are up (https://granbycrew.com/athletes/student-rules/swim-test-requirements/).